Last update: 04-01-05

 

 

CAE-Picture Gallery 1

 

 

Other CAE-Galleries

 

Overview Gallery 1

 

CAE-Tower

CAE-1983

CAE-Team

Ed Melanson

Turntables

CAE-Tapemachines

CAE-Tower
Info | Larger Image

CAE-1983
Info | Larger Image

CAE-Team
Info | Larger Image

Ed Melanson
Info | Larger Image

Turntables
Info | Larger Image

Tape Machines
Info | Larger Image

Mixing console

controlroom

Team 1956

Unterweisung 1962

Barclay McMillan

Carol Bourgois

Mixing console
Info | Larger Image

Controllroom
Info | Larger Image

CAE-Team 1956
Info | Larger Image

Introduction
Info | Larger Image

McMillan & Konow
Info | Larger Image

Carol Bourgois
Info | Larger Image

soldier

Controlroom 1962

St. Mathew

Building 1967

Archive

 

Soldier
Info | Larger Image

Controlroom 1962
Info | Larger Image

St. Mathew
Info | Larger Image

Stationbuilding 1967
Info | Larger Image

Record library
Info | Larger Image

 


SendemastThe 325 ft. (100 m) transmitter tower in Fort Victoria shortly before dismantling in summer of 1983. On top the 16 sections of dipol FM-antennas, and slighty visible the stabilizing ropes on three floors. In front, vessels of the British military which took over Fort Victoria after the withdrawl of the Canadian troups.
*

Larger Image

 

Abbau des SendemastesTwo days after dismantling the transmitting tower in summer 1983. This ”landmark” stood for more than 27 years on the hill in ”the Haar” between Werl and Wickede. After the end of Radio CAE, the 250 watts FM transmitter was used until 1980 as a relay station for the British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) in Germany. The studio building was used nearly until end of the 80’s as a technical telephone center for the British Army.*top

Larger Image

*(Photos: John Sturgess)

 

CAE-TeamThe crew from Radio CAE 1967: right behind the mixer (with beard) stationmanager Barclay McMillan, left of him Elisabeth Stute, the station’s secretary. Left from her with his arm on her shoulder: “Texas” Heinz Gunnesson. Left above him besides the clock Jean-Claude Shoemaker from the french Service, left before him Ed Melanson, left of Ed wearing tie and suit: Pierre Gingras. Left behind him Pte. Burns. In front in the seat Technical Seargant Rudy Suchrab, left from him in light suit technician Heinz Strauch, right from him before the mixer in dark suit Ludwig “Louie The Bear” Ruhs. Behind, leaning on the mixer, also in black jacket annoucer Cammie McKay. The lady left behind Sgt. Suchrab is Anne Haupthoff, the cleaning-lady and “good soul” of the station, affectionally called “Mutti”, which means “Mommy”.

Photo: Helmuth Euler (from “Werler Erinnerungen“)

Larger Image

 

Ed MelansonPrivate Ed Melanson (1969), announcer of „Night Piquet“and “Best of the West”.*

Larger Image

 

TurntablesThe turntables of CAE, manufactured by Telefunken.*

Larger Image

 

TapemachinesTwo tapemachines in the controlroom, type Telefunken M 5. Visible at right: the hand of “Texas” Heinz Gunnesson.*

Larger Image

 

Mixing consoleThe mixing console, heart of the studio, where the announcer, tape-recordings, records and the news and sports via shortwave from CBC  Montreal were put together to a perfect program.*

Larger Image

 

ControlroomView from studio B into the controlroom: at the very left Shermaine Mortimer, then with light shirt Karin Heinrichs, in the background Heinz Gunnesson.*

*(Photos with kind permission from Wolfgang Zschauer)

Larger Image

 

Team 1956The first CAE-crew in 1956. The picture shows the first stationmanager Jack Crane (sitting left of the cake), announcer André Hebert (sitting right of the cake) and Paul Barette, one of the first volunteer announcers.*top

Larger Image

 

introducing1962This picture from 1962 shows Alan Brown (r.) and Don McGibbon (2nd from r.) introducing new announcers. Don McGibbon was program director from 1957 until 1962 at CAE, later at CFN Lahr.*

Larger Image

*(Pictures with kind permission from CFN Europe)
 

Barclay McMillanStationmanager Barclay McMillan (left) and his predecessor Hans Konow, who lead Radio CAE from 1964 to 1967, before he went down to CFN Lahr.*

Larger Image

 

 

Carol BourgoisAnnouncer Carol Bourgois in Studio B.*

Larger Image

 

soldierUntil begin of 1969 soldiers were assigned on duty for Radio CAE. Then professionals from the CBC in Canada took over. This young soldier died 1967 in a car accident between Hamm and Unna and is burried at the Canadian cemetary in Werl.*

Larger Image

 

Controlroom 1962
Controlroom  in 1962, in black suit: stationmanager Don McGibbon.
*

Larger Image

 

St. Mathew
St. Mathew” in front of the 325 ft. antenna-tower.*

Larger Image

 

Building1967
The stationbuilding in 1967.
*

Larger Image

 

Archive
Cpl. Pierre Gingras is looking for a particular song. The record library contained hundreds of LP’s and singles, and each week new ones were supplied directly from overseas. Therefore the station was musically always up-to-date and far ahead of the German radio.
*

Larger Image

 


* (With kind permission from Foto-Studio Euler, Werltop)